The A-Leagues can today announce the selection process for the 2022 All Stars Team, with the squad set to face global powerhouse FC Barcelona on May 25 at Accor Stadium in Sydney.
Back for the first time since 2014, the All Stars will be putting on the best possible show for football fans across Australia just days before the men’s Grand Final. Unlike any other sporting team in Australia, the A-League All Stars will be unique in their composition, selection and potential to play against the best teams from around the world.
Designed to represent clubs from across the Isuzu UTE A-League, the process will be a combination of selections by an expert panel, the fans, the All Stars coaching team and the A-Leagues Commissioner, leading to a squad of 30. Upon the conclusion of the Isuzu UTE A-League 2022 Semi Finals, any players in the All Stars squad whose team makes the Grand Final will be assigned “none-playing” status in the squad to face Barcelona but keep the honour of being All Stars.
The selection process will be conducted in stages:
- An expert panel of ex-players initially chooses a shortlist of up to 65 players across all 12 clubs.
- From this list, fans will vote for their Best XI comprising a goalkeeper, four defenders, three midfielders, three attackers. Voting opens at 12pm AEST Thursday May 5.
- Once these votes are tallied, the leading goalkeeper, top four defenders, top four midfielders and top four attackers are selected as the first 11 members of the squad.
- The next two players by weight of numbers (in any position) are chosen as 12 and 13 in the squad.
- The coach chooses a further 15 players and the A-Leagues Commissioner another two, ensuring that every club has at least one representative.
- In principle, no club can have more than five players in the 30-man squad, though that limit may be extended based on player availability. Once the grand finalists are known, players from those clubs in the squad are awarded “non-playing” status or similar, leaving 20 or more players available for selection.
- Coach has discretion to top up the squad to cover injuries and availability during finals, just ensuring every club remains represented.
Greg O’Rourke, Commissioner said:
“Selection for the All Stars is prestigious recognition for a player who has consistently delivered outstanding performances over the course of an Isuzu UTE A-League season.”
Assistant coach appointments will be announced shortly, with the squad set to be announced during the third week of May.
Fan voting opens at 12pm AEST on Thursday May 5. To cast your vote, visit keepup.com.au.