Young Reds unable to stop Sydney


On Saturday evening Adelaide United youth team were unable to break Sydney FC’s youth team in a 4-0 loss.

Early in the match Sydney were able to control the match as they looked to take the lead.

An early cross by James Andrew found Bai Antoniou joust outside the six yard box, but was unable to get a strong enough touch on the ball.

Adelaide quickly responded though after a great run by Antoni Trimboli down the left wing, opening up the play.

After toeing the ball past one player he was able to cut into the box, his shot then parried by goalkeeper Anthony Bouzanis.

Though, it was Sydney who was able to get the first goal on the board early in the first half, just 18 minutes in.

Anthony Tomelic made a run to the goal line before cutting it back to an open George Blackwood just 10 yards out.

The Striker took a touch to compose himself before slotting it into the near post under Paul Izzo’s foot.

Just seven minutes later it was two nil after the striker then turned assister, placing a through ball in front of James Andrew.

The winger was able to out run Adelaide’s defence before driving it into the near post from just inside the box.

Shortly after Blackwood almost made it three nil after his curled shot from the left hand side of the box rattled the far post, before landing into Izzo’s Hands.

And in the 41st minute Sydney made it three, after a mix up at the back for Adelaide United.

Antoniou took advantage of a miss placed pass that left him with just the keeper to beat. Faking a shot he sent Izzo to the ground before running around the keeper and slotting it into the net.

In the second Half Adelaide still looked rattled as they caused multiple turnovers, and were unable to hold the ball for long periods of time.

Michael Valkanis quickly called upon the bench, trying to re-inspire the team as he made all three substitutions by the 56th minute.

But this was still to no avail as their runs down the wing were still not coming off as a strong Sydney side were able to shut them down.

And Sydney kept posing threats throughout the half as they looked to create that fourth goal.

In the 89th minute the goal came after Charles Lokoli Ngoy was able to control a cross from the right wing.

The substitute put the ball to ground before driving the ball across the box to Daniel Araujo who tapped it in at the far post.

“Sydney were very well organised. Said Adelaide United Youth Coach Michael Valkanis.

“We didn’t utilise the wings enough in the first half and we were trying to force things through the middle.

“After we conceded two goals from our own mistakes, we weren’t taking any risks.

“And we saw today that they (Sydney) deserved to be winners.”