AUFC Women fight back to defeat Glory


Danielle Colaprico proved momentous as her stunning winner handed Adelaide United Women their second victory in a row against Perth Glory in Round 13 of the Westfield W-League 2016/17 season at Dorrien Gardens on Sunday night.

Danielle Colaprico cancelled out an early lead through Rosie Dee Sutton, with a magnificent brace, thundering two unstoppable shots in both halves of the match to taste glory.

Adelaide United Women Head Coach, Huss Skenderovic fielded an unchanged starting XI, following their blowout of the Western Sydney Wanderers Women in Round 12, hoping to expect more of the same with their clash against Perth Glory. The Reds Women were once again without their Captain, Stella Rigon, due to injury.

Despite a flurry of explosive corners by the visitors, and an early chance from Huerta, the Reds Women, however, would fall behind inside 10 minutes when an accurate Kerr assist enabled a feed to Sutton who rounded United keeper, Sarah Willacy, to then nonchalantly finish in an open net.

Falling behind early did not intimidate the South Australians to push on towards an equaliser, in which another corner would guide them. Five minutes following Perth’s goal, Colaprico detonated a simply unstoppable strike from 20 yards, pinpointed in the bottom-left corner, after Glory’s defence failed to clear their lines.

There was a share of the attacking impetus following the leveller, with both teams desperate to grab the ascendancy, but Perth were particularly thwarted by Willacy, after several potent attempts produced by the likes of Kerr and Alyssa Mautz.

In a more even match-up between the two sides this time around, Adriana Jones was able to dangerously stab an effort towards goal, which could have easily superseded into a lead, narrowly missing the target. Just over the half-hour mark, Kerr raced in on goal with her usual lightning speed, taking her effort too wide.

With possession, and fire in their hearts, a push for a lead before half-time looked imminent, as Jones beat her marker to shoot at goal, but Glory keeper, Gabrielle Dal Busco was equal to the effort, in a clutching save.

As both sides prepared for a second 45 minute battle, the gates burst open in an assault to gain the foothold. An effort from long range saw the first chance of the half for the visitors through Racheal Quigley, but with Perth looking the more threatening, an outbreak of chances saw them almost rally a winner as Kerr marauded forward only for Willacy to claim it.

Vanessa Di Bernardo then followed up on Sutton’s parried effort, which was ruled as offside in the 67th minute. Perth Glory proved a monumental threat for the winning goal, firing several chances in a dominating ten minutes but Willacy remained resolute.

Following Adelaide’s 20 minute drought of chances, Colaprico completed her brace with a second in the 84th minute to gain a lead and ultimately shock the hosts. With more bad news for the Glory, Kerr was given her marching orders after receiving a second yellow card on her challenge against Willacy and would eventually see the Reds Women come out on top.