Goals galore ends in AIS victory


The AIS Youth Team left Thebarton Oval victorious after a 5-3 victory over the Young Reds in their Foxtel National Youth League match.

The AIS Youth Team left Thebarton Oval victorious after a 5-3 victory over the Young Reds in their Foxtel National Youth League match.

There was a point of irony in this game, with the Young Reds up against a number of players – Ben Warland, Dylan Smith and Mark Ochieng who will join the club next season.

The start of the game saw the Reds control play and look the more likely to open the scoring. With United on top a great tackle found Dylan Smith who quickly caught keeper John Hall off his line, the AIS midfielder cleverly chipping it over Hall-s head from long range to make it 1-0 after 10 minutes.

The Reds were determined to get back into the match and were rewarded in the 21st minute when a great pass by Jack Bladen found Nathan Konstandopoulos inside the 18 yard box who produced a stinging strike to level the scores.

Minutes later the Reds were on the attack again when a quick counter attack from the restart resulted in Ryan Kitto-s shot narrowly missing.

With the Reds eager to hit the front, their hard work again was rewarded when a great chain of passes ended with Matthew Bouzalas bolting down the left hand side with a nicely timed pass to find Bruce Kamau streaming into the box. A nicely placed strike for Kamau found its way past the AIS keeper to give the Reds a 2-1 lead.

A high scoring encounter was on the cards and in the 37th minute the AIS drew level when Smith slotted his second.

But the Young Reds responded again and went into the break with their noses in front when a brilliant ball from Bouzalas forced the AIS defence to panic, forcing Alexander Gersbach to turn the ball into his own net to make it 3-2.

Early from the restart the momentum changed again as the AIS scored twice in quick succession through Marc Marino and Mark Ochieng.

The Young Reds tried gallantly to work their way back into the contest, Bouzalas coming close in the 74th minute, but a desperate AIS shut the door on any chance of a revival from the home side five minutes from time courtesy of substitute Bai Antoniou.

Coach Michael Valkanis thought the match was a game of two halves.

“In the first half we played a very good attacking entertaining style of football which created many chances and allowed us to score three goals,” Valkanis said.

“I was very happy with how we played out from the back and created good chances. In the second half two uncharacteristic turnovers in a short space of time hurt us.”

“We found it very difficult to get back into the game with the AIS team sitting back and playing long ball counter attacking football.”

Match Details
Adelaide United 3
(Konstandopoulos 21-, Kamau 23-, Gersbach 45- (og))
AIS 5 (Smith 14-/ 38-, Marino 48-, Ochieng 51-, Antoniou 85-)
Referee: Rick Schneider

Adelaide United starting lineup: 1.John Hall (GK), 2.Dion Kirk, 3.Shaun Harvey (c), 6.Jack Bladen, 7.Bruce Kamau (19.Luigi Ditroia 60′), 8.Nathan Konstandopoulos (17.Jordan O’Doherty 60′), 10.Ryan Kitto (5.Anthony Ture 60′), 11.Nikola Milesunic, 15.Matthew Bouzalas, 16.Jacob Melling, 22.Jake Monaco
Injury substitution: Nil
Substitutions not used: Paul Izzo (GK)
Yellow cards: Ture 70-
Red cards: Nil

AIS starting lineup: 30.Lucas Spinella (GK), 2.Darcy Madden, 4.Benjamin Warland, 10.Dylan Smith, 11.Marc Marino (24.Bai Antoniou 58′), 12.Mark Ochieng, 15.Liam Youlley (16.Jordan Pudler 58′), 18.Alexander Gersbach (9.Todd Norris 58′), 19.Bright Appiah, 22.Liam Rose, 23.Rocco Pizzata
Injury substitution: Nil
Substitutions not used: Andre Jannese (GK)
Yellow cards: Madden 56-, Youlley 58-
Red cards: Nil