Goodwin at the double as Reds beat Roar

Away jersey banner

Socceroo Craig Goodwin has signed-off with Adelaide United before joining Australia for crucial World Cup qualifiers with a double as the Reds claimed a 3-1 Isuzu UTE A-League victory over Brisbane Roar on Sunday.

Goodwin scored in either half while Reds captain Stefan Mauk hit the back of the net from the penalty spot to cancel out former Red Nikola Mileusnic’s early opener for the Roar and secure Carl Veart’s team just their second win of the season.

The victory at Moreton Daily Stadium lifts Adelaide up to fifth on the ladder while Brisbane are bottom after seven matches, with just one win and five points this season.

Having secured a 1-0 win over Perth Glory on Wednesday night, the Roar made a perfect start when Mileusnic pounced on a mistake by Jacob Tratt to score his second goal of the season.

Tratt messed up an attempt to clear a Jay O’Shea flick-on, allowing Mileusnic to pounce on the loose ball and slot past Joe Gauci in just the second minute.

Adelaide, who welcomed back Spanish veteran Isias from suspension and experienced Dane Michael Jakobsen from COVID-19, controlled possession from that point on and got level in the 23rd minute via the penalty spot.

A ricochet off O’Shea hit Scott Neville’s arm and, after a VAR check, it was deemed the Roar defender was just inside the area when the offence occurred.

Goodwin stepped up to slot the spot kick and level the scores.

Adelaide then hit the front, again from the spot, when German midfielder Matti Steinmann brought down Ryan Kitto after the Reds’ fullback had surged into the box early in the second half.

This time it was former Roar midfielder Mauk who took the kick, scoring in what may well be his last appearance for Adelaide before a move to Japan.

The Roar, playing their fourth game in 11 days and with several players such as captain Tom Aldred, Argentine import Juan Lescano and Luke Ivanovic out through injury, failed to notch another shot on target after Mileusnic’s early strike.

That inability to trouble Adelaide ensured the points were safe when Goodwin broke clear in the 85th minute, cut inside and slotted his fifth goal of the campaign with a tidy finish past Macklin Freke in the Roar goal.

The Roar will look to bounce back when they host Western Sydney next Saturday while Adelaide’s next game is away to Newcastle next Sunday.