Reds held in Wanderland


Adelaide United has shared the points with current league-leaders, Western Sydney Wanderers, the Reds extending their unbeaten run to five matches.

A fiery start from the Reds saw two chances fall to the visitors in the opening five minutes, but neither were able to be converted. Craig Goodwin initially had an opportunity to register a shot on goal, but he slipped at the crucial moment. Then, almost immediately after, Sergio Cirio played Bruce Djite through on goal, but the striker’s shot was somehow smothered and saved by Wanderer’s goalkeeper, Andrew Redmayne. 

Then, just before the ten minute mark, Djite curled a deep cross towards the back post where Cirio controlled with his chest before latching onto a stinging half-volley that shook the frame of the goal, but failed to bust the back of the net. 

The Wanderers’ Federico Piovaccari had a goal disallowed after he fouled Dylan McGowan, but the real talking point from the first half was what looked a clear penalty for the Reds waved away by referee, Ben Williams. Michael Marrone burst into the box and was clattered into by Nikolai Topor-Stanley, but for all United’s protests, Williams wouldn’t budge. 

Marcelo Carrusca was his lively self and oozed brilliance with countless neat touches and clever passes, whilst Jimmy Jeggo bustled his way through the midfield and won possession for the Reds a number of times. 

However United weren’t able to take their chances in the first half, going in at the break without the goal they deserved and level with their hosts. 

Into the second half, proceedings recommenced at a similar pace to the opening 45 minutes, but soon calmed down as the Reds looked to control possession more and dictate the tempo. 

But with the game largely stop-start due to consistent stoppages, it was difficult for either side to emulate their performance from the first half. They weren’t without their chances, though, the Reds’ Djite and Goodwin each having opportunities to break the deadlock. 

Following the match, Head Coach of United, Guillermo Amor, said his side was denied a clear penalty when Marrone was brought down, but he was pleased with how his side performed overall against the Wanderers. 

“It was a penalty,” Amor said. “I prefer to sit back and watch these things on replay, but it was a penalty, but sometimes this an happen.  

“Of course, we would prefer three points because we came here for them and the team played to win the game. 

“In the end, we played well and we are happy for this.” 

Match details: 
Friday, 1 January 2016
Hyundai A-League Round 13
Western Sydney Wanderers 0
Adelaide United 0 
Venue: Pirtek Stadium
Attendance: 16,312

201516 Membership Join Now