Reds suffer defeat at hands of Roar


Adelaide United has lost 3-0 against Brisbane Roar at Suncorp Stadium with goals from Borrello and Maclaren enough to give the hosts the win.

United almost made the perfect start in the opening minute when Sergio Cirio was put through clean on goal. With just the Roar goalkeeper, Jamie Young, to beat, but the acute angle that Cirio had to bypass before striking on goal seemingly got the better of him, his strike failing to test Roar’s man between the sticks. 

The Reds had another good opportunity to get a goal early in the piece when Craig Goodwin burst down the left flank, beating two defenders with ease. The third defender, however, covered well and cancelled out Goodwin’s advances.

These half-chances in the opening minutes proved costly, as in the 9th minute, Roar took the lead through Brandon Borrello. An initial corner for Roar was momentarily cleared by United, but Brisbane brought the ball back into the box with Borrello eventually stroking home past John Hall from close range. 

From here the Reds sprung into life and looked to instantly respond, pressuring the Roar high up the pitch, but were unable to capitalise on any of their chances.

Into the second half, United burst back into the contest, restarting at a furious pace, earning two quick corners, but neither were utilised to great effect and both failed to truly test the Roar defence.

For the vast majority of the half, the Reds dominated the match and could have scored on a number of occasions.

With 57 minutes on the clock, Cirio was put through on goal and after appearing to have been pulled back twice by Jade North, kept his feet to cutely chip Young, but the ‘keeper pulled off an incredible save to deny the forward.

Eight minutes later it was Cirio who turned provider, launching a trademark run down the right flank, leaving his defender, Shane Stefanutto, for dead and cutting the ball back for Isaías, but his shot was hit far too high.

Then, in the 79th minute, United were dealt a major blow when Jamie Maclaren made it 2-0 to Brisbane when his curling left-footed effort whipped into the far post. Roar then wrapped up a very flattering result deep into stoppage time when Borrello made it 3-0 in the second minute of added time.

Following the match, United’s Head Coach, Guillermo Amor, commended the effort of his players and the way they chased the game, stating clearly that his side was dominant for large portions and were very unlucky not to score.

“I am happy because my group played very well and worked very well,” Amor said.

“The things we asked from them before the match were done, but at the end the result flattered them (Roar).

“Conceding the first goal after ten minutes was tough, but we grew into the game and it was much more balanced (from here).

“We dominated the last 20 minutes of the first half and in the second half there was only one team that was on the field and we dominated that too until we conceded the second goal.

“Conceding the third goal (was irrelevant). In the last minutes we changed the system to 3-4-3 to see if we could get a goal, but conceded.

“It’s better for us to go for a goal and try and score, than to sit and do nothing.

“We are constantly working on our creativity and scoring goals. They will come. I have a lot of faith in my team.

“We will continue to work very hard like we have since the beginning because this is when you are successful, never before.”  


Match details:
Saturday, 31 October 2015
Hyundai A-League Round 4
Brisbane Roar 3 (Borrello 9’, Maclaren 79’, Borrello 90+2’)
Adelaide United 0
Venue: Suncorp Stadium
Attendance: 10,707

201516 Membership Join Now