What went right, what went wrong vs Sydney FC

Adelaide United’s five-match unbeaten streak ended following a controversial 2-1 loss to Sydney FC at Coopers Stadium on Friday night.

Stefan Mauk cancelled out Elvis Kamsoba’s 10th minute effort past the half hour mark.

However, Brazilian striker Bobo gave the Sky Blues the lead moments after Adam Le Fondre’s goal was ruled out for offside.

Hiroshi Ibusuki missed a penalty on 88 minutes and in stoppage time a contentious decision overshadowed the ending to an enthralling game.

The Japanese striker should have been awarded a spot-kick after appearing to be man-handled to the ground by James Donachie after contesting a header.


What went right: Lachlan Brook’s dynamism

Lachlan Brook undoubtedly put in his best shift in his first start since returning to Adelaide. He was dynamic, rode challenges when dribbling forward and always looked to create something. His curling first-half strike appeared destined for the back of the net but for a good save from Heward-Belle. The 20-year-old showed why he is on the books of Brentford FC and with more game time, he will only become more impactful.

What went wrong: Too passive in possession

Carl Veart lamented his side’s sloppiness in possession during the match as the Reds were often caught out in transition, particularly on counter-attacks. Frequently, Adelaide struggled to break the lines and play vertically with a lot of sideways and backwards passes. The lack of penetration was also due to the way the Sky Blues set up. Sydney was compact and sat in two blocks of four and were able to capitalise on mistakes.

What went wrong: Missed Penalty / No Penalty

It would be remiss of us not to mention a penalty going wrong. But one missed penalty does not define a striker. Hiroshi Ibusuki didn’t convert from the spot but the Sydney FC shot-stopper made a good save getting down low to palm away for a corner. Ibusuki is good enough and experienced enough to bounce back, he has proven he has goals in him and it was his header that led to Stefan Mauk’s initial equaliser.

A late shout for another penalty was initially waved away by referee Adam Kersey after it appeared Hiroshi Ibusuki was held and brought down. Kersey consulted with VAR and ultimately decided his initial decision was the correct one. From our vantage point it looked to be a penalty, but unfortunately the referee disagreed. Was it the wrong call? You be the judge.

What went wrong: Goodwin going off injured

Back from Socceroos duty and inserted straight back into the line-up, Craig Goodwin showed his undeniable quality. He was involved in the goal when his cross found the head of Hiroshi Ibusuki only for it to be repelled, allowing Stefan Mauk to restore parity on the follow-up attempt. However, soon after, Goodwin sustained an injury that eventually forced him off at half-time. As he shot, his foot caught the studs of a Sydney FC player causing his foot to swell up with the bruising making it impossible to continue. However, the 30-year-old should be back for the Reds’ next clash.  

Match details:
Friday, 4 February
Isuzu UTE A-League 2021/22 – Matchweek 13
Adelaide United 1 (Mauk 32’)
Sydney FC 2 (Kamsoba 10’, Bobo 73’)
Venue: Coopers Stadium
Attendance: 7,245