Young Reds crush Glory 3-1


Adelaide United Youth impressively defeated Perth Glory Youth 3-1 in Round 4 of the Foxtel National Youth League 2016/17 season at Elite Systems Football Centre on Saturday.

A goal from the Captain, Joshua Mori and a brace to Ryan Strain from the penalty spot granted the Young Reds their second win of the National Youth League season, as a goal from Perth Glory’s Daniel Stynes proved inconsequential.

Adelaide United Youth were impressive from the kick-off, full of confidence following their win against Melbourne Victory last weekend. The Young Reds implemented a dominant performance, and the assertiveness of Blake Carpenter, Ryan Yates, Ben Warland and Zakariah Waters, to name a few, assisted in the glory.

Carpenter started off the first period with two early chances, a delightful run created an opportunity, but his shot floated across goal. Marauding forward, Carpenter was thwarted by Glory defenders before a shot could be taken. Glory had their first chance through Gian Albano, but were soon limited to any further chances. Apostolos Stamatelopoulos then ventured forward to fire a shot, but was tamed by Glory gloveman, Jordan Thurtell.

In the 10th minute, Strain fed a lovely ball into the box, Thurtell managed to get a touch, but was collected by Mori in the perfect position to float the ball into goal. Two minutes after, Strain stepped up to take the Young Reds’ first penalty, swiftly scoring from the spot.

 Alec Maiolo had a golden opportunity, but his strike flew across goal. Following great defensive work, and pressure in the final third, Adelaide United were awarded with their second penalty, and Strain completed his brace on the 40th minute mark, slotting in his shot calmly.

United keeper, Daniel Margush saved a shot from Michael McDougall, with no harm before half time approached. After flourishing, the Young Reds were up by three goals as they headed into the change rooms. 

The first 20 minutes of the second stanza mirrored the actions of the first half, and United kept a firm grip on their dominance. Mori searched for his second, but the promising shot flew over the bar. 

Carpenter embarked upon United’s free kick in the 59th minute, a ferocious strike met the crossbar, in a commendable effort. Moments after, Margush produced a fingertip save, to deny Joseph Knowles. 

Following another attempt by Mori, Stynes was able to scramble a goal back for the visitors, as the heat started to intensify around the 80th minute. The Young Reds remained resolute and were deservedly awarded.

Commenting on the match, Adelaide United Youth Head Coach, Huss Skenderovic was impressed with the performance and full of confidence ahead of their next game.

“We came out of the blocks really early, and stamped our authority, playing the game we want to play,” Skenderovic said. “We dictated possession of the ball going forward, and the tempo that we dictated in the first half was fantastic, which was evident. 

“In the first 15-20 minutes of the second half we also had a good couple of opportunities where we got in behind, but Perth Glory’s goalkeeper was very good, but overall our performance was impressive. 

“Probably from the 65th minute mark, I believe the weather affected the intensity levels, the transition and to push out from defence became slower, but it was only natural for that to happen due to the heat. 

“We are very happy and I think it’s another step forward in their development, there are other key areas that need to be worked on and habits we need to address but we are moving in the right direction,” Skenderovic continued.

“We give our players the belief and today proved they are great footballers, due to the chances that were created, but the key is getting into those dangerous areas, which we also achieved today.

“We pressed the ball immensely for 65 minutes and Glory could not get the ball in the right areas, and the boys stepped up, it was a great display.”