Young Reds fall to Perth Glory in NYL closer


Adelaide United Youth were defeated in their final match of the season, falling 2-0 to Perth Glory in Round 10 of the Foxtel National Youth League at Dorrien Gardens on Sunday afternoon.

Gian Albano was the first to finally break the deadlock in the opening minutes of the second half, and only ten minutes following, Daniel Stynes doubled the hosts’ advantage which secured a comprehensive victory in the West.

Young Reds Boss, Huss Skenderovic graced Adelaide United debutant, Lachlan Brooks his first start as a Red, while the side were without Ryan Strain due to a red card booking in the previous week.

Adelaide United Youth goalkeeper, Daniel Margush had a superb 45 minutes, thwarting every threat the Western Australians put forth, keeping them goal-less in the first half, despite their enjoyment of most of the possession and opportunities to take the lead.

In the early exchanges, Perth’s Kosta Petratos sent a tidy first-time ball in the direction of Stynes, but the one-one-one crusade was won by Margush, gathering the ball calmly.

Margush then performed a fantastic reflex save, minutes later, to deny Ross Millard’s oncoming shot on the left-side of the wing.

Petratos proved a danger once again, with a launched attack that looked promising before Stynes’ cut-back into the area was intercepted and cleared by the United defence, on the half-hour mark.

Yagoub Mustafa created two great chances in the latter moments of the first period, a neat through-ball from Stynes almost resulted in a tap-in towards an open goal, but Margush expertly dived to save. Mustafa’s second shot was poked straight into the hands of the Reds’ shot-stopper.

The Glory’s persistence paid off in the second stanza, despite an Adelaide attack, as Albano produced some neat footwork to finish for a lead in the 55th minute. Ten minutes later, on 66 minutes, Stynes shot home a cross delivered from Dejan Spaseski, to double the deficit.

United found a resurgence of chances on goal late in to the second half, but were unable to find the back of the net, as Blake Carpenter fired a powerful shot towards goal, but was saved.

Captain, Josh Mori also found space 30 yards out, but the chance flew well over the goal. With minutes remaining, Charlie Devereux thundered a curling shot, once again being denied. The Glory were able to remain resolute, and take out the three points.