Young Reds suffer third straight defeat


Adelaide United Youth Team lost their third consecutive game with a 2-1 score line in their last home game of the Foxtel National Youth League against Perth Glory Youth Team.

Due to the heat, the time of kick-off was brought forward an hour to 10:00am and Adelaide United looked to have the better of the first half after a bit of early pressure from the Glory.

The Young Reds really focused in on holding the ball and orchestrating the manner in which the game was played.

And their hard work almost paid off after Perth keeper Jordan Thurtell raced Bruce Kumau to the corner flag, trying to fend the ball out for a corner. Although beating the winger to the line, Kamua pick pocketed the keeper and sprinted to the goal, but miss timed his kick and put into the near post netting.

Due to the heat, a drinks break was called at the 25th minute which seemed to put United’s rhythm slightly off track. And within six minutes in play, 0-0 became 2-0 in favour of Perth Glory.

Keeper Paul Hall gifted Perth’s Joseph Knowles a goal after miss timing the bounce of the ball as he ran out of his box to clear. Skimming off the back of his head, Harry O’brien was able to bring ball down before passing off to Knowles who only had the net ahead.

And in the 42nd minute Perth made it two off the corner. Harry O’Brien was left unmarked in the box, allowing him a free run at the ball, and when Paul Hall was unable to get to the ball in time, the attacker was able to head it home.

In the second half, Adelaide didn’t give up as they continued to push and again dominated possession.

A call for a penalty by Adelaide United came unanswered in the 51st minute after Bruce Kumau looked to be pushed in the back, but nothing was called.

Just minutes later Adam Piscioronis whipped in a cross from the right wing towards the far post finding the head of Antoni Trimboli that flashed just wide of the goal.

And after relentless pressure, Dylan Smith was able to score in the 85th minute. Defender, Mark Ochieng was able to side step his man on the right wing before cutting it back to Smith from the goal line, who placed the ball into the bottom left corner.

And within the last eight minutes of play United came close to equalising on a couple of occasions.

Antoni Trimboli had a chance in the first minute of added time after putting it through the legs of the defender just left of the box. The Winger then cut into the box and opened up his body just curling around the far post.

Then with just seconds left Niko Apostolopolous stunned Perth’s Keeper after unwinding a 25 yard thunder bolt, only to be punched away.

“First half I think we were in total control they didn’t have many chances on goal, I think we gave them two goals. I think two goal keeping mistakes cost us two goals, said Adelaide Coach Michael Valkanis.

 “I think we played very well in the second half, we upped the tempo a little bit more (and) we deserved a little bit more out of it.

“It wasn’t like they were out playing us, they created a chance and they scored, which came off our own mistake.”