Young Reds unable to breakthrough against Cumberland United


Adelaide United fell 0-1 in a tight affair to Cumberland United in Round 11 affair of the PlayStation 4 National Premier Leagues at A.A Bailey Reserve on Saturday.

The Reds were eager to bounce back from their loss to West Torrens Birkalla in Round 10, instead they were unfortunate not to grab an equaliser late in the second half to share the points, despite their spark in the dying minutes.

Cumberland’s Jace Cummins was the hero of the match, scoring the one and only goal that proved the winner, claiming all three points for the home side.

With Cumberland’s pressure, and Adelaide’s off-target shooting, it did not help the Reds’ mission to take down the Foxes.

Managing to maintain composure, the Young Reds were able to attack through Pacifique Niyongabire, but his first touch inside the penalty area had let him down, it what was a threatening chance.

Both sides had equal possession, and it was end-to-end football for majority of the half, but in the 25th minute, Niyongabire linked-up with Apostolos Stamatelopoulos in their first real chance of the match.

The duo were thwarted by Cumberland’s sturdy defence, before Niyongabire could get a shot towards goal.

Ryan Strain showed promise, dancing around defenders but again, could not get a shot off for his side.

35 minutes in, Adelaide United had their best chance of the half, with a Niyongabire delivery to Stamatelopoulos, rising up for a header, to see it over the crossbar.

Cummins then stepped up for the hosts, but his first chance was no danger to Isaac Richards’ goal.

Before half-time, Niyongabire had yet another opportunity to take the lead in front of goal, but was too late in pulling the trigger.

With physical strength on their side Cumberland took the lead in the 51st minute, when Harley Gepp found Cummins whose initial strike was punched away by Reds’ ‘keeper, Richards.

Cummins was able to find the back of the net courtesy of a second-chance opportunity, making it 0-1.

Adelaide United then picked up their pace, working hard for an equaliser, but found it difficult to find their usual magic in front of goal.

Strain was the stand out for the team, with an expertly weighted cross that found Alec Maiolo at the right post, but the substitute missed from inches away.

Minutes after, Strain then got himself into a perfect position for a strike, but his effort was skied over the bar.

Cumberland were able to hold off the Reds until the end of the 90 minutes, securing their second win of the season, while Adelaide need to find their igniter once again.

Next week, Adelaide United will face-off against Adelaide Olympic at The Parks Football Centre on Saturday night.

Adelaide United 4
Cumberland United 2