Reds late show rolls on as Mariners collapse again

Adelaide United teenager Nestory Irankunda has scored an added-time stunner to steal all three points in a dramatic 2-1 A-League Men victory over Central Coast at Coopers Stadium on Saturday night.

With the scores locked at 1-1, and Mariners having the majority of late chances, substitute Irankunda picked out the top corner from a tight angle in the 92nd minute with a powerful drive.

The Mariners had the first real chance on the quarter hour when Marcos Urena outmuscled his opponent and worked his way into the box, teeing up Nicolai Muller, but the close-range shot was well saved by Joe Gauci.

Adelaide were awarded a penalty on 23rd minutes when Lachlan Brook was brought down by Jacob Farrell.

Craig Goodwin took on the spot kick but missed a second consecutive penalty with Central Coast keeper Mark Birighitti guessing the right way and parrying the shot clear.

On the half hour the Mariners should have opened the scoring when Muller whipped in a corner to the near post where Urena flicked on, only for Jason Cummings to head over the bar with an open goal beckoning.

The visitors did break the deadlock five minutes later through Beni Nkololo after Adelaide had failed to clear an attack.

Brook skied the ball which was superbly controlled on the edge of the area by Cummings, before he laid off to Nkololo who slotted his shot under Gauci.

The Reds equalised six minutes into the second half through Hiroshi Ibusuki after a goalmouth scramble from a Goodwin corner.

The ball floated over and amidst the chaos, Lachie Barr and Brook both had shots blocked before the ball bounced across the edge of the six yard box where the Japanese striker was on hand to smash into the back of the net.

Nkololo had a great chance to get his and the Mariners’ second when he found himself free inside the area on 70 minutes but he blasted his effort over.

Lewis Miller also went close but shot just wide while Adelaide substitute Mohamed Toure headed just over the bar.

But, it was fellow substitute Irankunda who stole the show with an added-time stunner, collecting all three points for United.

After recycling a corner, the ball fell to Barr who supplied Irankunda, with the 16-year-old unleashing a venomous strike into the top corner.