Young Reds downed by City in Round 1


Joshua Mori’s goal from the penalty spot proved inconsequential, as the Adelaide United Youth suffered a 4-1 defeat to a dominant Melbourne City at CB Smith Reserve on Sunday.

Mori’s penalty was overrun by a Yusef Ahmed brace, and strikes from Denis Genreau and Connor Chapman, to see Melbourne City claim the three points. 

Adelaide United Youth Head Coach, Huss Skenderovic had a strong starting XI for their first match of the season against Melbourne City Youth, and the additions of experience in the likes of George Mells and Taylor Regan.

Mori wasted no time to venture forward and had an early chance on goal, as he met a tough bounce of the ball on the edge of the box, but City’s defence accelerated towards the ball to recover from Mori’s danger. Despite the Captain’s attempt, City proved their dominance throughout the first half with three goals in the first 45 minutes. 

Melbourne’s Ahmed exhibited the beginning of his control, to drive the ball into the box, and as Daniel Arzani’s initial effort was denied, Genreau netted the follow up past John Hall in goal.

Hall then stamped his authority between the posts, with a save, as Gerrie Sylaidos almost doubled City’s lead. Although, it was Ahmed to double his sides lead in the 25th minute, snatching the ball from Paul Wilson and beating Hall. 

City scored their third through the lively Ahmed, Connor Metcalfe’s cross assisted in the goal scorer’s deft volley, to give the Melbourne outfit a solid lead before half time and the Young Reds much to work on.

The second half saw more dominance and chances from City, a 51st minute build-up from their defensive line to attack saw a one-on-one opportunity develop for Dylan Pierias against Hall, which hit the base of the post. 

Mori buried his effort from the penalty spot to peg one back for the Young Reds in the 66th minute. Following the goal, a City corner was cleared by United defence, but Chapman rescued the ball to finish and retain dominance amidst a 4-1 advantage, with fifteen minutes left. 

Adelaide United pursued an effort to pressurise City, but the hosts continued to deny any clear-cut chances on target, and their powerful attack was enough to hold off the Young Reds throughout the course of the 90 minutes. 

Following the match, Skenderovic said there is work to do ahead of future matches as it is a tough competition, but believes the potential is there.

“The first 10-15 minutes from us were solid, but as City scored the first two goals, our confidence did drop.

“The competition will be tough, and this tells us what there is to be expected and what we will need to work on

“City had four A-League players in the squad which provided a lot of depth and difference.

“We got a goal back, and at 3-1 we did play well and dominated, which was a good sign.”