Young Reds fall to Cumberland


The Adelaide United Youth Team has fallen to Cumberland United 2-1 in round 19 of the NPL State League on Saturday afternoon at Bailey Reserve.

In overcast conditions, Adelaide United started full of momentum controlling possession of the football as well as moving the Cumberland defence around in search of an opener.

Throughout the opening stages, the Young Reds used the flanks well through Yianni Nestoras and Samed Altundag. Although the wingers saw lots of the ball, the deliveries couldn’t find marksman Doni Pollock, who was edging close to the opening goal.  

In the 16th minute, Adelaide United was given the chance to score the opener as a foul in the box by Cumberland after a corner kick, saw a penalty awarded to the Baby Reds.

Jordan Pudler took responsibility and drove the ball low and hard giving Adelaide United a 1-0 advantage. 

Adelaide grew in confidence after the goal, managing possession well and limiting Cumberland with time spent on the football.

However, in the 24th minute a long ball over the top of the defence, saw Adelaide United left flat footed which forced keeper Alex Woodlands to foul the oncoming striker leaving the referee no choice but to give a penalty kick for Cumberland United.

Winger, Harley Gepp stepped up to the spot which saw his initial shot saved by Woodlands which he  then made easy work of the rebound making it 1-1.

Four minutes after, Cumberland took the lead. After some untidy defending by the Young Reds, the ball was impeded on by scorer Harley Gepp who hit the ball low and hard in the bottom corner sending the home faithful into raptures.

The chances created throughout the rest of the first half were seemingly half chances, as the United Youth grasped a strong hold of the game through its dominance in possession and willingness to hold the football but still trailed 2-1. 

After the restart, the Baby Reds kept possession forcing Cumberland to chase the ball rather than control it.

This triggered a much more open football match with the game becoming rather end-to-end, with both sides eager to score another. But upon fulltime neither side was able to score another, the score finishing 2-1 in favour of Cumberland. 

After the match, Adelaide United Youth Team coach, Michael Valknais, said he was happy with his side’s performance and the way his players controlled the match especially in the second half.  

“Honestly, I think we played really good football although not winning the game,” said Valkanis.

“In the second half, down 2-1, we found our feet and dominated possession but they were very hard to break down and against an experienced Cumberland side that defended resolutely it was always going to be an uphill challenge.

“Overall, I think we played to the style and we have plenty more matches to improve.

“So next week we will be back fighting and hopefully can get a result at home.” 

Match Details 
Saturday, 13 June 2015
NPL 2015 State League – Round 19
Cumberland United 2
Adelaide United 1
Venue: Bailey Reserve